Savory vegetable pancake
These savory vegetable pancakes make great use of leftover vegetables - just shred them fine and mix with this easy batter for a brilliant meal any time of the day. They also change with the seasons, so feel free to use whatever's around right now.
For the pancakes
150 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tablespoon white miso paste, diluted with 150 ml cold water
1 large free-range egg
1 tsp chili flakes
3 tbsp sesame oil
250 g mixed vegetables (e.g. carrots, cabbage, onions, peppers, fennel, green beans, spring onions, courgettes), finely chopped or julienned
Topping suggestions (optional)
handful of chopped spring onions
handful of fresh coriander leaves
soy sauce manis
½ lime, juice only
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, diluted miso, egg, chili flakes and 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add the grated vegetables and stir until well coated.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons sesame oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Place half of the vegetable pancake batter in the pan and spread with the back of a spoon.
- Cook for 3 minutes until crispy, flip and cook the other side for 3 minutes more.
- Keep warm as you repeat with the remaining mix to make a second pancake.
- Serve with the toppings of your choice.