RECIPE: Zucchini with redfish, bell pepper coconut sauce and pearl couscous
At Jolliette we like to make the best dishes with ingredients from the most humble of sources - the local market. On a sunny Sunday morning I strolled over the local market to select fresh ingredients for a summer Sunday lunch with my family. It's very quick, healthy, try it yourself!
Ingredients (4 persons)
4 small redfish
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large zucchini or 2 small
2 cloves of fresh garlic
1 small red onion
1 can coconut milk
2 red bell peppers
1 red pepper
freshly ground pepper
Bell peper coconut sauce
- Remove the core, pith and seeds of the bell pepers.
- Slice up the peppers and cook in a hot pan using some olive oil until they are tender
- Slice the red pepper and add to the bell peppers
- Add the coconut milk and bring to boil
- Add freshly ground pepper and salt
- Strain the sauce
- Grate the garlic cloves
- Cut the red onion in small pieces
- Cut the zucchini in small dices
- Stir fry the garlic cloves, red onion and the zucchini. Stir fry needs really high heat and things need to be done really quick. A wok or a wide pan works best in this case.
Pearl couscous is a fast and easy side dish! This tiny pasta is irresistible if you toss it with lemon and olive oil. It takes just 10 minutes to boil! Different brands of pearl couscous perform slightly differently, so follow the instructions of the brand you use. When boiled swirl with seasonings and serve!
- Bring the fish to room temperature, season the fish with fresh ground pepper and salt.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a few shallow incisions into the skin of each fillet to help prevent it curling up during cooking. Only cut into the skin, not the flesh.
- Heat a large, cast-iron skillet or heavy-based frying pan over a high heat until it's smoking hot.
- Place the fish skin side down in the pan. Carefully hold them down by pressing with a spatula until they have relaxed and no longer want to curl up.
- Cook until the skin is very well browned. Depending how hot your pan is, this should take 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully flip the fish over and cook the other side for about 2 minutes until crisp.
- Serve the fish as soon as they are all cooked, on warmed plates.